Elder Gardner

Elder Gardner will enter the MTC on Wednesday, June 23rd. We will keep this blog up-dated every week with his letters and pictures. If you would like to write to Elder Gardner, please click on the "write a letter" link on the right hand side for directions and his address. If you don't know much about Mormon Missions read the "about missions" page to learn more; it may help you understand some confusing terms in the letters.

Monday, June 27, 2011

Miracles (Loma Week 8)

Wow. This was a crazy crazy week. Where to start?

We have a family we are teaching, a dad with his two sons. Roberto is the dad and the sons are Brian and David. We have been working with them a lot but have never been able to get them to church on Sunday. We talked to them about baptism a few weeks ago and David said he wanted to get baptized, the other two weren't as sure. So we set a date for this Saturday, but they had to come to church for him to be baptized. Last Sunday they didn't come to church, so we changed to the baptismal date to a two weeks later.

Well, Sunday night we told our leaders that we were planning the baptism for David for July 9th. A little bit later that night the zone leaders called and asked why we were waiting. I explained that he didn't come to church and we felt he needed more time. But the zone leaders wanted us to do it after church on Sunday instead of waiting. I hate it when zone leaders do that. The only reason they called was because it was the end of the month and they wanted the number to count for this month instead of July. We talked for about 20 minutes and the whole time I just wanted to say ¨Tomátela. You don't know my investigators, I do. I'm doing what I think is best for them. Callate la boca and let me do my job.¨ But I didn't say that. Instead I agreed to pray and ask God what He wanted us to do.

So Monday morning we prayed and asked God when David should get baptized. We prayed twice and I was still dead set on not doing it this Sunday, so we didn't receive any sort of answer. Finally I was like, ¨Ok, I give up. I´ll do it whenever God wants. Even if He says this Sunday.¨ So we prayed for the third time and felt very strongly that this Sunday was the right day.

Later that day we had the ward activity (locro is pretty good; it´s kind of like corn soup) and the whole family came and the members did a great job of being their friends. On Tuesday we went over to their house planning to talk to them about being baptized this Sunday. But it was Roberto´s birthday and there were too many people and we couldn't talk about the gospel. On Wednesday we had zone conference and we didn't get home until 7:30 at night so we didn't have time to go over. On Thursday we took the ward missionary leader with us and were determined to talk about the baptism. But the ward mission leader started talking and didn't stop and then the kids had to leave to go to school we still couldn't do it. It was now Friday and I had given up hope. But my companion still had faith so we went over to try one last time.

Right as we showed up the two sons were leaving with a friend and the dad was in the shower. But David decided to stay to talk to us, which was perfect because we were alone and could talk seriously. We read Alma 7:15 and invited him to be baptized this Sunday, in two days. And he accepted! So we called the district leader and set up an interview for the next day, talked a little bit then left. The next day, Saturday, we were talking to a less active and David called and said that he was sick in bed with a fever and asked if we could wait till next week for the baptism. I said it was fine and we would wait, but I didn't really plan on waiting. God told us to do it this Sunday so we were determined to do it this Sunday. As we left the member's house I asked my companion, ¨Do you believe in miracles?¨ He said yes. I said, ¨Me too. Let's go.¨

We went to the church and prayed and asked God if what we were doing was His will. We felt that it was so we asked God for a miracle and to bless David with health. We then called the district leader and told him to meet us at David's house, and we then went to his house. The first thing we did was give David a priesthood blessing. I gave the blessing and felt the spirit very strongly, the most I ever have felt it in a blessing. I blessed him with health and strength to be able to go to church tomorrow and be baptized. The district leader then showed up and David passed the interview. Sunday morning we called and David was awake and perfectly healthy. He said he hadn't had any more sickness since we left his house. We picked him up and went to church together and he got baptized after the meetings. It was a crazy experience. So clearly a miracle. The Lord´s hand was involved every step of the way. God told us what He wanted to happen and we did everything we could to make it happen. And when that wasn't enough God stepped in and took care of it for us. Miracles are real. God exists. The church is true and the priesthood of God is once again on the earth.

¨I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.¨ 1 Nephi 3:7

Well, that was a super long story. So I won´t tell you anymore. Thanks for everything you do. Keep up the good work.

¡Que Dios les bendiga!
Elder Gardner



It rained A LOT this past week. And a couple times we got caught without umbrellas. Fortunately a family let us borrow their purple umbrella.

I like this picture a lot. I´m not sure if it´s sacrilegious to have a picture of Christ in the back of a gangster pose, but I think it turned out nice.

My and my companion with an investigator named Brian. This was during the ward activity on my birthday.

Presents! My companion bought me two presents at the 'swap meet' and I bought the sunglasses and the sweat pants I'm wearing. I bought the jacket a few weeks ago as an early present. To give you a little insight into my companion: He bought me these two presents without telling me before he bought them. One is a board game where all you do is roll dice and move the pieces and the first one to the finish mark wins. It is a game for very little kids. The other present is some yuigo cards. Neither are things I'm going to play anytime soon, but he has such a great heart buying things like that. Especially since he doesn't have money to pay for it. He now only has five pesos to last him this whole week. What a great guy.

Me and David.

Me, David, and Elder Romero. Never give your camera to an Argentine. They never seem to take very good pictures. O well. A picture is better than no picture.


A member family invited us over for an FHE on my birthday. It was pretty fun.

No comments: