Elder Gardner

Elder Gardner will enter the MTC on Wednesday, June 23rd. We will keep this blog up-dated every week with his letters and pictures. If you would like to write to Elder Gardner, please click on the "write a letter" link on the right hand side for directions and his address. If you don't know much about Mormon Missions read the "about missions" page to learn more; it may help you understand some confusing terms in the letters.

Sunday, January 9, 2011

¡Feliz Año! (Cazador Week 7)

Happy New Year! I hope everyone had a great time celebrating the start of a new year. New Years is always a good time to think about the way the year has gone and the things we want to change. Then we can set goals about how we want to improve and most importantly make plans to achieve those goals. That´s what the mission is all about. Setting goals and making plans to achieve them (with of course God´s help being part of the plan).

Well, our visit to Temaikén last p-day was pretty fun. We went from about 2-5 in the afternoon, which was kind of a bad idea since most of the animals were sleeping. But we saw a hippopotamus, some crocodiles, some sleeping tigers, and lots of other animals. The most impressive part was the ¨lugar de las aves¨ or ¨Place of the birds.¨ It was a big cage that we could walk through and be with the birds. There were lots of colorful birds, parrots, flamingos, other birds that I don´t know their names. It was pretty cool.

There isn't a whole lot to say about this week. We have been trying to work a lot with the members and get them to share the gospel with their friends. Quite a few have told us some of their friends that they want to share the gospel with but we haven´t been able to talk to the friends yet. So this week has mainly been setting the stage so that we can have more more people to teach later on (hopefully the week that is coming).

New Year´s Eve we spent with a member family. They have seven kids, all grown up, five of which were home. They remind me a lot of my family, all of them joking and making fun of each other. It was a lot of fun. They made us sing them a song because the daughter was mad because we forgot to call her and cancel an appointment a few days ago. So we sang them a song and they all liked it and the mom gave us empanadas (which was good because the mom is inactive and didn't like the missionaries before). But we had to be back in the apartment at 9:30, we went to sleep at 10:30, and woke up the next day in the year 2011. I woke up a little bit at about 12:15 in the morning because of all the fireworks that people set off, but I went right back to sleep. New Years isn't that exciting as a missionary.

Well, that´s all I got for this week. The work is moving forward as normal. We did find two new families that we taught yesterday, which was pretty exciting. Everyone keep up the good work and don´t forget that you are a child of God.

Love,
Elder Gardner


"This is when we had to sleep in the church because of the fire by our house."


"Our door after the fire. It was white before."


"The elders in the apartment last transfer:
Me, Elder Briggs, Elder Gordon, and Elder Merrill (left to right)"


"That is me trying to be a cowboy, I don´t think it worked too well.
The hat I got from a member for Christmas (I jokingly made a comment about it a week before so he gave it to me for Christmas) and the guns I got in my package from mom."


"This is Elder Wray preaching the gospel to a scuba diver in Temaikén. I´m not sure how to baptize him because he is already under water, but it will work somehow."


"That is a hippopotamus."


"My companion and I in front of a waterfall in the bird place at Temaikén."


"Bird Down! I don´t know what is wrong with the bird,
but Elder Wray seems to be doing alright."



"This is a video I took during the fire."




"This is me practicing my pronunciation. Now you can all hear how gringo my accent is."




"This is Christmas morning at about 12:10. All of those sounds you hear are fireworks. It was a lot louder than it sounds like because the camera didn't pick it all up. They are mostly just little firecracker things but every now and then there are the big aerial fireworks."

No comments: