Elder Gardner

Elder Gardner will enter the MTC on Wednesday, June 23rd. We will keep this blog up-dated every week with his letters and pictures. If you would like to write to Elder Gardner, please click on the "write a letter" link on the right hand side for directions and his address. If you don't know much about Mormon Missions read the "about missions" page to learn more; it may help you understand some confusing terms in the letters.

Monday, March 14, 2011

(Cazador Week 17)

¡Hola!

One thing I learned this week: I do not like the Colombian accent. I did divisions with an elder from Columbia and I had a very hard time understanding him. But at least I was able to understand when I paid really close attention, that´s better than nothing.

Anyway, this week was alright. There was a capacitacion (training) for the leaders of the mission so that´s why I did divisions with the Colombian (Elder Pabón). Whenever there is something like that it always makes the week go by so fast. I feel like I was just writing the last letter a few days ago. So I´m not even entirely sure what happened this week or the week before or what to write about, but I´ll try anyway.

Some highlights: Adrian (the blind man I baptized) received the Melchizedek (is that how you spell it in English?) priesthood yesterday. That was awesome. He has blessed the sacrament several times, even though he is blind. And he reads the scriptures in braille and goes with us to visit people whenever we ask him too. He is an amazing man, I´m so glad I was able to be part of his journey to Christ, though I really didn't do a whole lot. I got to stand in the circle during the ordination to the priesthood, which was cool. I felt the spirit testify that this is the priesthood of God. The ability to act in His name in order to bless the lives of His children is the greatest privilege, blessing, and responsibility that we can have here on earth. The power and authority of the priesthood is real, it truly is on the earth again and through it we can receive all the blessings that Christ made possible when he atoned for our sins.

The ´husband´ of Silvia came back from working far away. That´s good because now we can start working an the divorce and the marriage. But he didn't come to church yesterday. We called Sunday in the morning and he said that he had guests over but that Silvia and the rest of the family were on there way. That´s kinda sad because he is a member and the rest of them aren't, he should be the first one to come to church. Silvia was also rather upset with him. The gospel is meant to bless the whole family. It helps individuals as well, of course, but it is so much better when the whole family follows the gospel and goes to church together. The family is there to help each other out and support each other. That´s a huge problem here (in this ward); almost every family has someone who doesn't go to church, who left the path and hasn't come back even though the rest of the family is continuing forward faithfully. I´m so grateful for my family and the guidance my parents gave me as I grew up. ¡Thanks mom and dad!

That´s the most exciting things that happened this week. There were a few other fun things, like going on splits with the ward to visit less actives, and showing up at Silvia´s house on day and finding the presidency of the Relief Society there already teaching. It´s awesome to see the ward working and helping, that´s the way it should be. We all have the opportunity to help someone come unto Christ, you don´t need to be wearing a black name tag to go visit someone who didn't go to church last week.

Well, that´s all the time I got. I hope everyone has a great week and looks for every chance to help pick up the hands that hang down and strengthen the feeble knees.

Con amor,
Elder Gardner

No comments: