Elder Gardner

Elder Gardner will enter the MTC on Wednesday, June 23rd. We will keep this blog up-dated every week with his letters and pictures. If you would like to write to Elder Gardner, please click on the "write a letter" link on the right hand side for directions and his address. If you don't know much about Mormon Missions read the "about missions" page to learn more; it may help you understand some confusing terms in the letters.

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Offices, week 5

Wow. What is going on? I used to think that time was going by fast. I heard that it goes by faster every transfer, but I never thought it would be this fast. It is already February (yes I typed febrero into google translate to know how to spell that in english). Things are just too crazy. I´ve been here in the offices for over a month and it just feels like a week or two.

One of the funnest parts of a new month starting is rent payments. Every month we have to pent rent within the first ten days of the month. With over 80 apartments it gets kind of complicated. We used to pay most of them electronically but a few months ago we had to change the system because of tax issues. Lots of people avoid taxes here, and if we do it electronically the church has to get involved with their tax situation. So most people now ask us to do it in cash. So every month we put the rent on the elders credit cards and they go to a bank to take the money out and pay the rent. We have to make sure that everyone really payed it, which can be fun. Hopefully I don´t have too many angry land lords calling me this week...

So exciting things this week... We have been working alot with this family I mentioned last week that moved here from another ward. They are really cool. The parents didn´t go to church last week, but they let the primary president take the daughter to church. She really liked church but still doesn´t feel ready to be baptized. We´ve gone by their house almost every day this week trying to help her feel ready. She is really smart for a nine year old. We were reading something about baptism and she was like, ¨I really like the part where it says to be baptized in the name of the son. It says the same thing in this other part I was reading the other day.¨ She then showed us another part she had read. Pretty much she understands things better than most adults we teach do. I´m sure she´ll be baptized, it might just take a little bit longer.

As for the office work, I had some fun times. We were really close to getting a new apartment for an area but at the very end the housing agency refused to make any changes to the contract. And I didn´t like the contract all that much, so after a little bit of argueing I told them we wouldn´t sign and we wanted our deposit money back. The day after we went to pick up the money I got a phone call from the land owner where the elders were living and she told me we had to leave the next day. Apparently she had told that to my last companion before I got here, but I didn´t know about it. And we didn´t have a contract with here since she´s a member so there was nothing I could do about it. So after trying to find another house on super short notice I decided to move them in with some other elders for a week or so until I can get a new apartment. There is a member that has a place available in the area, but he is on vacation. When Argentines go on vacation it is often for a month or so, so I don´t know if I´ll be able to get that place soon enough. We´ll see. For now they are just living four people in a small apartment.

So, that´s all the fun stories I can think of. And we need to go buy some groceries. So I´ll talk to you all next week. Don´t hesitate to write me a letter or anything like that. Have a great week!

Chau,
Elder Gardner

No comments: